Life at Sea



Life at Sea: don’t forget to look out the window



As I approached the end of my first trip at sea I looked back and laughed at the things I found noteworthy during those first weeks on board.
How to turn on the search lights, colour codes for the bins, operating the window wipers. Three months later, and having participated in all the watch permutations, my notes are more advanced. I’ve inspected PV Breakers, got to grips with the inert gas system, as well as learning how to let go of an anchor.
On my first ship, I learnt the basics of keeping a navigational watch and cargo work on board an oil tanker. During these early days, I discovered that the role of a third officer is an eclectic mix of navigation, cargo operations, mooring, taking on stores, safety drills, not to mention the maintenance of lifesaving appliances and compliance with international regulations. It’s an exciting and challenging position and I knew it was for me.
It’s interesting too, with a long history. It was during the first week of my second trip that I was reminded of the reason the Solas regulations were established. As we responded to a distress call from a sinking yacht, I thought of the Titanic whose calls for help went unanswered by a passing vessel nearly a century ago. In the yacht’s case, a closer vessel arrived and rescued the casualty and Falmouth Coastguard stood us down.
In the navigation sphere I learnt an important lesson. As I struggled to comprehend what the windfarm echoes observed on the radar could be, the comments of my navigation lecturer came flooding back: “Look out the bloody window.” This reinforced the importance of studying the charts and passage plan before departure.
I faced my claustrophobic fears during a confined space entry of the forward peak water ballast tanks. Although initially uncomfortable with the prospect of entering a space with no natural light or ventilation, I was reassured when the chief officer conducted pre-safety checks and gas readings.
So, my time at sea has included a little bit of everything. It has been a diverse mix of understanding COLREG rules, climbing around ballast tanks, as well as building up the skills and knowledge of good seamanship. In my opinion, anyone looking for a career with travel, variety and early responsibility can’t go wrong with the merchant navy.



     www.cruise-ships-job.blogspot.com     Life at Sea - don`t forget to look out the window